Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My.maricopa.edu makes registering for class easy

A brand new online student center,My.maricopa.edu, is getting rave reviews from students as the busy fall enrollment season begins.

It took Rio Salado College business major Grant Miller just a few minutes online to enroll this month. Miller signed up for 10 credits to complete his final semester before earning his associate degree in business.

“It’s pretty simple. The way it’s all set up makes sense and everything I needed was there,” said Miller who was elated he skipped the usual registration lines.
The center which debuted in February is expected to make registration simple for thousands of students saving huge amounts of time and money.

With My.maricopa.edu, a system implemented at all ten of the Maricopa Community Colleges, students can register for class, add or drop a class, obtain grades, pay tuition, and request transcripts with just a few clicks of their mouse.
Rio Salado student Pam Duty is thrilled to have an online student center at the touch of her fingertips.

“I love it. It’s really easy. I love being able to control my college experience,” Duty said.
One of the most promising features of the new online center at Rio Salado College is the process for enrolling for class. Students are able to search the online schedule for the class they want. A featured shopping cart makes it simple for students to add the requested class to their schedule. And once the selection is made students are able to follow simple online procedures to enroll.
Students have been eager to use the online feature. In June alone more than 48 percent of Rio Salado’s 26,000 online students accessed My.maricopa.edu. In the past students using Rio Salado’s online student services was less than 10 percent.

Gail Elbourne, 34, a mother of two, said using My.maricopa.edu was “very convenient.”
“It was easy to navigate,” Elbourne said. “I could do it from home.” said the Chemical Dependency major.

The new online student center also is the first time all ten of the Maricopa Community Colleges are linked together allowing student information to travel with a student from one college to another.

The easy to navigate self-service features make long lines for student services a thing of the past.

“We think it’s very easy. My.maricopa.edu has all the features students need from the quick admit to enrolling for class,” Kishia Brock Dean of Enrollment Management said.
“Basically anything you could do in a registration office you can do at My.maricopa.edu,” Brock said.

“The new online center will also allow the college to focus on programs that really affect student’s success like retention and recruitment,” said Brock.

With the self-service features of the new center and Rio Salado’s weekly start dates students can register for class on Sunday and be doing homework by Monday night.
“We are the only community college in the country that has weekly start dates and an online student center giving students a real edge in controlling their schedule, “Brock said.
Within 24 hours of registering for class an e-mail is sent to students with a link to Rio Salado’s Quick Start. The Quick Start link gives students all the information they need to get started on their class, Brock said.

Rio Salado College is one of the ten Maricopa Community Colleges. The college offers degrees and career and technical certificates in business, computer technology, early childhood and teacher education, healthcare, law enforcement and more. For registration or more information call 480-517-8540 or go to www.riosalado.edu/registration.

E. J. Anderson
Media Relations Manager
Rio Salado College
2323 West 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
ej.anderson@riosalado.edu