Monday, April 26, 2010

Graduate Achieves Great Heights

By Mira Radovich, Communications Coordinator

When Tempe’s Rio Salado College holds its annual commencement ceremony in May, many graduates will be celebrating the “Achieving Great Heights” theme. Georgette Robinson is living it.

In the last year, Robinson turned 40, was laid off from her job, lost several very close family members, and was diagnosed with high blood pressure.

“I wanted to give up, and I kept telling myself to drop out of school and finish after I got myself together,” Robinson said. “But, my mom told me to finish school and do it for my loved ones. My sister always reminds me of the resilient spirit in which we were raised.”
Robinson had been taking community college classes on and off for the last few years, to help improve her job outlook.

“I knew I needed more education if I wanted a decent job,” Robinson said. “I stumbled upon Rio Salado and never looked back.”

Robinson credits Rio Salado’s flexibility and accessibility for her success.

“I attended three colleges previously, and always felt uncomfortable being the oldest person in the class,” Robinson said. “Obtaining my degree at Rio Salado is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Being able to study and submit assignments at home gave me the opportunity to be relaxed and grasp the information in my own comfort zone.”

Robinson is earning an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Quality Customer Service.

“I’ve always enjoyed helping people, and I wanted a degree that would give me the credentials needed in order to pursue promotional opportunities within the customer service realm,” Robinson said.

Pursuing this degree has led Robinson to many realizations about applying customer service to everyday life.

“I simply learned that you get what you give,” Robinson explained. “Ninety-eight percent of people who receive excellent service are in happier moods. This is contagious and spreads to the next person. So, just by giving that one person excellent service, you can actually make the world a better place.”

Robinson’s passion for helping people can also be found in her outreach ministry.

“My husband and I minister to individuals in high crime areas,” Robinson said. “This brings me so much joy because I can actually help put a smile on someone’s face. Giving hope to the lost is very important to me. I believe that everyone is important and needs a hug, no matter who they are.”

Robinson hopes to continue the momentum of graduation by pursuing a bachelor’s degree and finding a job where she can use her customer service skills.

“I have always wanted to be a life coach or customer service coach and give seminars on quality customer service,” said Robinson. “So this is really just the beginning of the rest of my life. I guess 40 is the new 20!”