College employees donate 1,300 water bottles with dehydration prevention tips
By David Staudacher, PR Manager, 480.316.9703
(Phoenix) August 4, 2010 – Summer is far from over and the National Weather Service has issued an Excessive Heat Warning for Thursday. To help residents beat the heat, the Salvation Army has set up hydration stations throughout the Valley.
At the Laura Danieli Senior Activity Center, 613 N. 4th Ave., Phoenix, volunteers from Rio Salado College are handing out reusable water bottles along with chilled bottled water, hats, and additional safety information. Transportation assistance, if needed, will be provided to individuals in or potentially in distress due to the heat. The reusable bottles, which were donated by Rio Salado College employees, have the symptoms of heat stress and tips for preventing dehydration.
“Sustainability and giving back to the community are part of the culture at Rio Salado College,” said Natalie Sirovy, Rio Salado College. “The employees wanted to help the Salvation Army during these extremely hot days, and we thought donating and volunteering to distribute reusable water bottles as a way to give back while considering the environment.”
Additional Hydration Stations are located at:
- The Salvation Army Corps Locations:
- Phoenix Central Corps: 3308 N. 28th St. Phoenix, 85016
- Phoenix Maryvale Corps: 4318 W. Clarendon Ave. Phoenix, 85031
- Phoenix South Mtn. Corps: 1351 E. Broadway Road Phoenix 85040
- SW corner 16th St. and Jefferson (East Lake Park)
- NE corner 3rd Ave. and Filmore
- SW corner 5th St. and Hatcher
- 35th Ave. and Roosevelt (Falcon Park)
Water also is available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the following locations:
- Glendale Corps: 6010 W. Northern Ave. Glendale, 85301
- Estrella Mtn. Corps: 11 N. 3rd Ave. Avondale, 85323
- Mesa Citadel: 241 E. 6th Street Mesa, 85201
About Rio Salado College
Rio Salado, founded in 1978, is one of the ten Maricopa Community Colleges in Arizona. The college serves more than 60,000 students annually, more than half online, making it the “college within everyone’s reach.” Rio Salado offers general education courses as well as a variety of degree and certificate programs. For more information, visit www.riosalado.edu.