Monday, September 27, 2010

KJZZ, KBAQ listeners invited to join ‘Fleet on the Street’

By David Staudacher, Rio Salado College PR Manager

When someone openly expresses their love for something for all to see, it is said that they are wearing their heart on their sleeve. Recently, Arizona residents who love KJZZ and KBAQ started showing their love for the Tempe-based radio stations by joining the stations’ Fleet on the Street.

Fleet on the Street is chance for listeners to show their support for one or both of the radio stations by having temporary vinyl artwork with their own personalized message that expresses their passion for the stations added to their car for one year.

“We have 17 ambassadors with wrapped cars already on the streets,” said Julie Mate, development associate at KJZZ and KBAQ. “Along with those 17, we have 23 people committed to wrapping their cars, and our goal is to have a fleet of 100.”

One of first ambassadors to get their car wrapped is long-time listener Richard Espinoza, who is the director of facilities at Rio Salado College where KJZZ and KBAQ are located.
“I support KBAQ because I have been brought up to encourage and support that which gives you the most pleasure in life,” said Espinoza. “Just like one tithes to their church of choice, I support the radio station that helps me be a better person.”

Espinoza, who lives in Apache Junction, said he watches very little television and has the radio on during the majority of his time. He finds the music to be calming and that is why he choose the catch phrase, “KBAQ is my source for peace?” to go along with the KBAQ logo and one of the six designs that are available.

“Every time I listen to the radio station, especially when I have a problem on my mind, the music helps me to put things in a better perspective,” he said. “The music makes life seem uncomplicated and brings me back to the basics. I would like to see more folks try it for a week and see if they also do not join in and learn how to relax more.”

To help the stations reach their goal of 100 listeners, MINI of Tempe, 7855 S. Test Drive, Tempe, is hosting a wrap party on Oct. 16 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The event is an opportunity for listeners to wrap their cars and become an ambassador of one or both of the stations.

“We would like to get at least 30 cars wrapped during the party at MINI of Tempe,” said Mate. “A grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting My Source fund and a matching gift from the Friends of Public Radio Arizona are covering the fleet expenses, so it doesn’t cost the ambassadors anything. It’s a great way to show their support for public radio.”

To learn more about becoming a Fleet on the Street ambassador at the wrap party or at any other time, please visit fpraz.org/fleet or contact Julie Mate at jmate@rioradio.org or (480) 774-8444.