Thursday, October 14, 2010

Phoenix Teacher Named October’s Excellence in Education Winner

On Tuesday, teacher Angela Scadaru was surprised in front of the entire school when KEZ’s Marty Manning named her October’s Excellence in Education winner during the morning announcements at St. Matthews Catholic School in Phoenix.

The teacher, who said she listens to KEZ on her way to work every day, was nearly brought to tears when Manning read a note from parent Frank Ramirez who nominated her for the award.

“She is such a compassionate, dedicated teacher who has helped my seven year old son Frankie tremendously,” read Manning. “My son has learned so much and has become a very good student, and I owe a great deal of gratitude to this wonderful teacher for her guidance. I feel truly blessed that Ms. Scafaru taught my son Frankie and knew that she was the right teacher to help guide, teach and provide the discipline he needed. It has been over a month now and my son is coming along nicely. He has shown good progress and is doing well. When I see him get up in the morning on his own and explain how excited he is to learn at school, I am filled with appreciation and happiness. Ms. Scafaru has been exactly what our boys need. I hope that she is recognized because she deserves it. She is very humble and would probably downplay what I am saying, but trust me I have seen her greatness and just want her to know she is appreciated.”

Each month, a Valley K-12 teacher will be recognized for their outstanding contribution to education. Rio Salado’s David Staudacher and KEZ’s Marty Manning visit the teacher’s school to surprise them with their “Excellence in Education” Award. The surprise visit is broadcast live during the Beth and Friends Show. All winning teachers also are rewarded with $99, an Excellence in Education Award, and a Rio Salado gift bag!

Students and parents of students are encouraged to nominate K-12 teachers who are excellent at their profession and have gone above-and-beyond the call of duty to make a difference in their community. Learn more about Excellence in Education at www.riosalado.edu/community/services/Outreach/Pages/excellence-in-education.aspx.