Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rio Hosts Food Day Celebration

Celebrate the first annual Food Day at Rio Salado College and find out what it means to be a locavore! The free event is open to the public and will be hosted by the students and chefs of the Café @ Rio on Monday, Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. It will be held near the amphitheater just east of the Rio Tower located at 2323 W. 14th St. in Tempe.

Food Day is a national event created to bring together Americans from all walks of life and raise awareness of healthy, sustainable eating practices.

“Rio’s core value of sustainability aligns closely with Food Day. Rio’s sustainable food systems program teaches students the importance of eating safe, healthy foods, supporting local farmers, ranchers and artisans and how every day food decisions affect the world around them,” said Michael Hodgins, Rio’s director of sustainable food systems. “National Food Day is committed to these same principles, which made hosting a Food Day event at Rio an easy decision.”

The event will feature a series of activities including; healthy cooking and gardening demos, tours, workshops and giveaways. There will also be a mini greenhouse and aquaponics system on display for guests who are interested in learning more about sustainable food methods. Local farmers and ranchers will also be in attendance.

Food Day’s mission is based these objectives:
• Reduce diet-related disease by promoting healthy food
• Support sustainable farms
• Expand access to food and end hunger
• Protect the environment and farm animals
• Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing aimed at kids
• Support fair conditions for food and farm workers

“Food Day at Rio will consist of like-minded individuals gathering to show their support of clean, sustainable foods,” said Hodgins. “The ultimate goal of Food Day @ Rio event is to create awareness in the area of real food. Creating awareness through education may ultimately stimulate the communities desire to create change.”

Rio Salado College invites all those who are interested to attend this unique event and welcomes anyone looking to get involved in the “locavore” movement to come and enjoy a day dedicated to local food.

Media Contacts:

Delynn Bodine
480-517-8205
Cell: 480-215-9456
delynn.bodine@riosalado.edu

Jesse Woodbury
480-517-8228
Cell: 480-326-5938
jesse.woodbury@riosalado.edu

51 comments:

eiffel tower tours said...

Food Day is a great idea. I hope it will raise awareness of healthy eating practices, and help reduce illnesses related to bad food habits. After all, "You are what you eat".

Thermapens said...

Food Day should become an international day - its a great concept. We need to do all we can to promote more responsible food production. Well done!

cookerykitchen.com said...

This year I have been growing my own herbs and vegetables. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and it's great to be cooking new recipes with my own produce that looks and tastes great. Any one can grow there own in pots on window ledges and patios you don't need a garden.

Cuisinart GR4 Griddler said...

How did food day go? one of the main issues faced at the minute is raising the awareness of health eating and the benefit of enjoying good wholesome food. People need to start understanding the benefit. Educating kids is one of the first steps in the right direction.

breville bje510xl said...

I think it's more important to educate the kids about diet, rather than to curb advertising.

Girl gamer said...

Great article and idea. Food is only key for good health. The most important thing, but we usually neglect it.

Richard Mathisen said...

I love to see the Aquaponicsystems, and learn more

www.aquaponicscenter.net

Cooking Fish said...

Food Day is a wonderful idea. I grow my own vegetables when I can (I live the in the North East, so weather permitting...), and enjoy the health benefits of not using chemicals or anything else. And besides the health benefits, the flavor of fresh grown organic vegetables is amazing, quite a bit better than store bought junk.

Marata Tom said...

I agree with Thermapens that it should be and International day because it will raise an awareness to all of us. Also it is best to instill that to the younger generations.

nyc dental clinic said...

Food Day! It's really great idea.I hope it well raise consciousness of healthy eating practices and help healthy living :)

Aquaponic Systems Guy said...

Like Richard Mathisen above, I too would like to see more about your aquaponic system. Do you have any pictures available? What kind of system did you use? I need more info.

Scones Recipe said...

What a fun idea for an event! I'm sure you raised awareness in your area with this - wish we had something like this where I'm from!

Fresh Fish From Grimsby said...

Food days sound like a great idea and I wish we had them in the UK. My own belief is that if you are looking for a really healthy food you should be considering fish or seafood. They are low in calories and high in Omega 3 oils. Obviously it is not only important to eat the correct foods but also to cook them correctly. For fish steaming and broiling are fine but frying in oils negates the benefits.

Low Calorie Foods said...

Start your kids early with good eating habits and they will reap the benefits their whole lives! Low calorie foods can taste great, too!
lowcaloriefoodshq.com

Low Calorie Foods said...

Anything that calls peoples' attentions to the quality and availability of healthy foods is great. We should be spending more on food education in the US.

The High Blood Pressure Guide said...

This is a very good idea to let the nation know about healthy eating. Many people are obese and suffering from diseases like hypertension because of the wrong food choices people make.

Blood pressure can be lowered through eating healthy food. Thanks for sharing this article, I hope to have more days like these.

siltnamiai said...

hmmmm those vegetables looks really nice, even from the picture you can tell that they are really healthy.

C. Dickerdack said...

Schools continue to sell sweets and fattening snacks. This is a rather upsetting fact. In this time and age where the effects of bad food is sufficiently known, and where the level of obesity is ever increasing, it should have been stopped by now. I guess there is a commercial reason for this continuous trend. It has been estimated that the number of pizza slices has even grown over the past years! This is rather disconcerting. I can well imagine that teenagers love a slice of pizza every now and then, but think that this should not be offered at schools since they should set a good and healthy example by providing just healthy foods.

Healthy Eating said...

Anything to raise knowledge of healthy eating is a good idea so we should promote more regional food day events.

Nikon SB400 Speedlight said...

great post..growing and eating your own greens is much more safer than buying from the store because you are the one taking care of it...

dpmsurf said...

Sustainable farming is such and important issue of our time. We can't let Monsanto take over our food supply. They are ruining our seed supply by making them all GMO (genetically Modified). They may be responsible for the loss of bees and they are just a horrible company that has lost their souls for the power and money.
Omega 3 Benefits

Taj Mahal Agra Tours said...

Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This article provided by you is very helpful for accurate planning.

Mobile catering said...

Thank you for sharing this informative article.Site design is good and very interesting blog. I really like it. Nice post.

healthy diet meal plans said...

Food Day is a great idea because not only teaches students the importance of eating safe, healthy foods, but the most importance one is supporting local farmers, this is the best.
Diet Meal Plans

matias said...

good advive, it's time to start eating well

Trent said...

Food day...great! I say let's make it happen!

Botol Asi Kaca said...

thanks for sharing :)

Organic Healthy Food said...

Food Day is a fantastic idea to promote healthy eating and support farm workers. Hope to see more organic healthy food.

Swizen Ebora said...

It could have helpful if there's a free course wherein we could have, to gradually enrich ourselves with the right food and could have been a great benefit for our health.

Best Juice Extractor to Buy said...

I second the motion to one of the comments here, this celebration should be made international. We have mother's and father's day, why not International Food Day.

Jun said...

Good post! Nice idea too to make Food Day become an international event.

Unique Value Proposition said...

This is actually one of several superior posts associated with things that I’ve please read on that topic recently. Fantastic perform.

whynter 21 bottle wine cooler said...

Great article! You come to realize that food affects really every cell in our body; it is all important to take great care what we eat!
thanks for sharing!

Liesbeth, webmaster of www.whynterdualzonewinecooler.com

Pizza said...

I really like this post and as always you only provide useful informations

Health and Safety said...

I love it whenever people come together and share opinions. Great blog, keep it up!

Stiller said...

David said...

Nice post, I would also like to see a international food day. Food can really make or break you. You can look and feel so much better when eating correctly. Keep up the good work.

Bingo Online said...

Muito bom, gostei.

makanan sehat said...

i think Food Day should become an international day - its a great concept.

We need to do all we can to promote more responsible food production.

Nice publications !!

Joe said...

How about Cooking Recipes Bingo?
http://www.buzzbuzzbingo.com/Fun/Recipe/

raymond said...

I think an International Food Day is a nice idea. I'm just wondering if this really works.

Jeddy wise said...

You are doing a great work. The campaign for eating health should continue

Rakuten.co.id: Toko online murah, serba ada Barang unik Jepang said...

Excellent blog and very informative. Great information has been shared. I would like to share it with others.
Thanks for sharing it with us. Looking forward to more of the updates from your end.

neil said...

healthy eating is a must, but will we ever learn. too much easy access fast food these days makes us lazy

Randall said...

I love this whole idea and it is a great work, thank you

buahsirsak said...

wow food day...its great it can be good its happen in my country...good articles

buahsirsak said...

wow food day...it great i hope it usually happen in my country hahaa

máy đo huyết áp said...

I really didn’t know about that.
Why are girls more affected? there are some answers here but i’d like more.
thank you

MarcyB said...

Great idea on making food an international event.

kaligrafi indonesia said...

Very Delicious...... i like it...

Mulia Herbal said...

Good idea... FOOD DAY