Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rio Salado Student Co-Authors Book on Phoenix

Remember when downtown Phoenix was a place where strollers and walkers would delight in sauntering about and enjoying the promenade? Me neither. But at one time, the desert capital was apparently a pedestrian paradise.

That’s what a Rio Salado College student discovered while researching his new book, “Downtown Phoenix.”

“I was surprised to learn just how many cars were in Phoenix by the late 1920s,” said J. Seth Anderson, Rio Salado student and co-author of the newly published “Downtown Phoenix.”

“But in those days, downtown was built for pedestrians, not cars,” Anderson said. “It wasn’t until much later that city leaders began to gut the downtown core of its history and character to erect towers and parking lots.”

Anderson spent time researching the book at local libraries and archives, interviewing long-time residents and reviewing historical newspaper collections.

“Seeing so many amazing images of a truly dense, walkable, economically vibrant city was heartbreaking,” Anderson said. “If even half of those old buildings were still standing, downtown Phoenix would be unrecognizable today.”

The book is part of Arcadia Publishing’s Images of America series, which aims to chronicle the history of downtowns and small towns across the country.

Anderson came to be involved in the “Downtown Phoenix” project after taking an interest in local historic preservation efforts and downtown development.

“In 2006, I had my eyes opened to the character and potential of downtown Phoenix and the incredible diversity of talent and ideas that exists downtown,” Anderson said. “I live downtown. I never leave downtown. I love downtown!”

As a writer and lover of all things downtown, working on the book represented a happy marriage of Anderson’s talents and passions.

“I’ve been a writer since I was a little kid, so I’m always looking for opportunities to be challenged, to sharpen my skills, share my work and listen to feedback,” Anderson said.

Those are also the reasons why Anderson decided to take classes at Rio Salado.

“The creative writing program piqued my interest,” Anderson said. “I needed some structure and accountability and wanted to have weekly assignments that challenged me.”

Anderson clearly thrives by being challenged. In addition to balancing school and his personal life, Anderson works in asset management for an ocean shipping line and manages a fleet of chassis trailers and cargo containers.

“It’s a lot of work and requires attention to detail and lots of planning,” Anderson said. “I rarely have free time.”

But when he does have free time, Anderson likes to write “anywhere quiet and with minimal distractions.”

“I’m old fashioned in that I still write by hand, with a pen, in a notebook,” Anderson said. “Writing that way is more romantic and I feel more connected to what I’m doing than when I write on a computer.”

-By Mira Radovich

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the book sold?

Rio Salado said...

The book is available at several local and online retailers. Search "Downtown Phoenix by J.Seth Anderson" to find a store near you.

patient scheduling software said...

The “Downtown Phoenix” project sounds very interesting. I love Anderson's passion for writing and it is no wonder he has made quite an achievement with his work on this book. I would love to read the book and I can't wait to get myself a copy of it.

Zorayda said...

I would love to buy this book!

Clavin said...

I think I would love this book!

free standing closet said...

my wife would love to buy this book!

Loren Hays said...

Hello, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and this post. You make some very informative points.Keep up the great work!
Solar Energy Training

Commercial Electrician Brisbane said...

Be awesome if you could dig up some photo's of downtown Phoenix from the 20's era.

Cars reviews said...

The book is available at several local and online retailers. Search "Downtown Phoenix by J.Seth Anderson" to find a store near you

Bialetti Cappuccino and Latte Set review said...

I bought mine in Amazon, it is very interesting to read on.

Atlanta Hardwood Floors said...

Downtown Phoenix isnt as cool as Mill Ave in Tempe. Depending, I guess, on what you are looking for.

Dimmable Led Light Bulbs said...

I've read it and it is a very useful book with useful content.

Jolene Christopherson said...

Being a Phoenix resident, I think I would have liked to have seen historic downtown with the older building architecture when people were walking with the strollers, greeting each other I am sure as they passed. I bet it was a less trafficked, much slower pace with much beauty.

I think with all of the one-way streets, you can see how the leaders tried to adapt downtown into what you see today without completely tearing everything down and starting over again.

I'm looking forward to checking out the book and learning more about my home town's downtown history.

Thank you for writing it.

Jolene

Papri Khan said...

This site is nice and amazing. I love your post! It's also nice to see someone who does a lot of research and has a great knack for ting, which is pretty rare from bloggers these days.
Thanks!
Android 4 tablet

low voltage lighting said...

Seems like an interesting book.

douglas mayeski said...

I also want to get your Book

Shipping Container House Plans said...

Seems like an interesting book. I appreciate the research that went in to it.

motorcycle transportation companies said...

Wow its very interesting.I love it.

Rakuten.co.id: Toko online murah, serba ada Barang unik Jepang said...

Excellent blog and very informative. Great information has been shared. I would like to share it with others.
Thanks for sharing it with us. Looking forward to more of the updates from your end.

UFC Fighters said...

I would so love to purchase this book as a Christmas gift!!!

Ronal dotson said...

Hey after reading you blog. I find the subject of your book is very interesting and I would like to have one with myself. Can you suggest me any online retailer or link from where I can buy this book.

motorcycle helmets said...

Perfect Christmas gift! Is this on Amazon? Would love to share this with my motorcycle rider buddies! Thanks for the share!