Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Black History Celebration at Rio

The sound of African Djembe drums were heard echoing throughout the halls of the conference center at Rio Salado College today.

The drums, dancing and storytelling were all part of the West Africa Cultural Origins and Preservation event featuring Sule Greg Wilson and Debra Glasper.
“Black history and African-American history have so much cultural significance. Many don’t realize its importance in American history,” said Greg Wilson, who demonstrated his unique drumming talent in front of dozens of attendees.

“People forget that even modern rock and roll has rhythmic roots in African-American music and culture. It is so important that every American remembers where they came from,” said Greg Wilson.

Greg Wilson came to the event dressed in traditional African attire prepared to share stories about African music and culture. At one point he had the entire audience sing with him “Funga Alafia,” a traditional West-African welcome chant.

Co-host Debra Glasper was happy to stand in front of the audience and show off her dance moves. The retired college counselor wisked around the room searching for volunteers to help with the rhythm and percussion.

Glasper, who is originally from Chicago, first heard African dance music at a high school assembly. “It’s been 25 years and I am still in love with African music and dancing. It’s my culture, and it’s such a big part of who I am,” she said.

Anonymous said...

This event was a fun learning experience. I hope Debra will visit us again!

Marisa Wright said...

African dance movements are also incorporated into American Style Tribal belly dance. In fact, it's not too hard to spot African influences in traditional belly dance too, which is not surprising given Egypt's location on the African continent.

Alessandro Akbar said...

Amazing! I really appreciate such event. Our cultures define who we are. The globalized world has uniformed us and it blurs our truest identity.

John said...

Great sutff!

Martyn said...

I would love to have attended this! I teach African drumming once a week to 30 primary school children in the UK. It is a lot of fun, but I am sure I could have learnt a lot from this event

Assignments said...

People forget that even modern rock and roll has rhythmic roots in African-American music and culture.

Jevon D. Hayter said...

I really enjoyed your article. It was very informative, I really needed this information to make a good consumer decision. I read some relative information at learn more about Beat Maker software here. I think your readers would enjoy this information also.

Again thank you for sharing.

Jose de musica mp3 said...

Great post. Music unites cultures