Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rio Students Place on All-Arizona Academic Team

Rio Salado College students Jennifer Papworth and Amanda Carrero were among 69 community college students from across the state who were recently recognized as members of the All-Arizona Academic Team. The students were honored, Feb. 22 at the 17th annual All-Arizona Team Celebration banquet held at the Phoenix East Mesa Hilton.
 The All-Arizona Academic Team is sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society for two-year colleges. Team members are ranked on first, second and third place teams based on academic performance, extracurricular activities and written responses to several essay questions.
Jennifer Papworth
First team students receive a $1,000 cash award, with students on the second and third team receiving $750 and $500 respectively. All team members also receive a tuition waiver at any one of Arizona’s state universities.

First team member Jennifer Papworth is studying public administration at Rio Salado. She managed to balance her studies with the responsibilities of raising her three boys, while still maintaining a 3.86 GPA.

“I honestly didn’t know if I would be able to finish my bachelor’s degree. When I found out that I had been selected, I felt relief, excitement and pride,” said Papworth.

Papworth is a fourth generation Arizonan and attended ShowLow High School. She has been involved in many college and community activities including: the Student Public Policy Forum, La Leche League and the Avondale Elementary School District Governing Board, where she served as a board member. She is currently a government relations intern for the Maricopa Community College District, and has received numerous college honors including: a Pfister Family Scholarship, a Women’s Philanthropy Circle Scholarship and a scholarship from Phi Theta Kappa.
Amanda Carrero

Amanda Carrero is a member of the second team. She is working toward an Associate of Applied Science degree in computer technology with a GPA of 4.0. She has three children, including twin daughters.

Carrero, who plans on transferring to ASU said, “This is especially great news since ASU has an online web development Bachelor’s degree, I won’t have to pay for childcare.”

Carrero has been involved in Phi Theta Kappa as the chapter secretary and recording officer. She is an active church volunteer and a volunteer member of the Arizona Modified Motorcycle Association. Carrero is a recipient of the Foundation Scholarship, and is on the President’s Honors List.

“This award means that I will be able to continue my education and provide for my kids, it means that not only will it give me the financial ability to continue, but it will also give me the confidence that I’ve done good work, and I can show my kids that hard work and dedication pay off.”

As a member of the All Arizona First Team, Papworth will be eligible to compete for placement on the All-USA Academic Team sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society, USA Today and the American Association of Community Colleges. Members of the national team will be announced later this spring.