Friday, April 13, 2012

Rio Bikers Rally for Tempe Bike to Work Day

Wednesday, April 18 is Tempe Bike to Work Day.  From 6:30 a.m. until 8 a.m. riders can stop by a variety of local businesses to receive a free breakfast and T-shirt (while supplies last).  The Tempe City Council is supporting the annual event with a community bike ride from Whole Foods Market on Rural and Baseline to Ncounter on Mill Avenue in downtown Tempe. 

Several Rio Salado College employees are advocates for cycling as a form of transportation, exercise and recreation. Here’s what they have to say about it. 

James Paluzzi –Dean, Division of Public Service

As transportation: “I bike to work every day. I take the light rail from downtown to Washington and Priest then bike the rest of the way.”
    Going green: “I started this sustainable transportation mode six years ago when I was at Colorado Public Radio in Denver. I got rid of my SUV, and continued the train/bike combination ever since. I was fortunate that Phoenix started its light rail service just three months before I started work at Rio Salado in 2009.”
    Even when it rains: “Some days, particularly during our rare bouts of inclement weather, I can put my bike on the 56 Bus that takes me to Washington and 14th Street -- a little less than a mile away from the Tower.”

Matt Freed – Marketing and Public Relations Executive Assistant

For fitness: “I ride to have fun and stay in shape. I do enter races, but my goal is only to finish the race. I find the culture of competitive cyclists to be very positive and uplifting.”
    Getting started: “If you’d like to get into mountain biking or road riding, it’s important to invest in your bike and some essential gear. I recommend renting a bike from the local bike shop or go to a manufacturer’s demo day to see which type of cycling will suit you. An entry-level mountain bike will costs about $600-$1,000, so you want to make sure it’s what you want. You’ll also need a helmet, gloves, bike shorts, tools for changing a flat, tubes, lube, something to carry your water, and an understanding spouse (you’ll be gone a lot). ”
    Totally worth it: “It’s all worth it. It’s just like being a kid – that feeling of freedom doesn’t go away when you are out there pedaling.”

Eddie Calderon – Website Manager

Why not?: “I have been riding bikes for a big chunk of my life. I just like to ride.”
    Tips and Tricks: “Plan out your path to avoid busy streets when possible. It’s really a much more enjoyable ride when you’re not jockeying for position with cars. Know how to change a flat tire – just in case. And I would avoid riding from July through mid-September, unless you really like riding in an oven.”
    Fast fact: “If you ride to work at Rio twice a week on a regular basis, you can get free access to the workout center. It’s the best way to clean up for work after a ride.” 

Bri Valdivia – KJZZ Producer, Here and Now

To save money: “My bike became my main mode of transportation in June of 2008. Gas, car payments and insurance all take up so much cash that I’d rather carefully plan my trips around carpooling, public transportation, and biking.”
    Bonus points: “I get a sense of pride from being able to use my own strength to get from one place to another.”
    Safety advice: “Try to choose routes with bikes in mind and follow the rules. Always ride with traffic, if there's a bike lane DON'T ride on the sidewalk, use hand signals, and stop at stop signs. Also remember to ride defensively, you have to protect yourself from people who aren't paying attention. You may be in the right if someone hits you, but it's better to be alive than right!
    Fashion advice: “Wear a helmet, mussed hair is nothing compared to a head injury. And finally...a simple bandana tied above the knee with pins holding your skirt in place can do wonders.”
    Green with envy: “When you're on a bike (even when you're following rules!) a lot of people will gawk at you, act rude, or try to shout things at you from their motorized vehicles. These people are just intensely jealous of your majestic bicycle.”

Randy Kinkel – KBAQ 89.5 Host

For exploring: “You don’t have to ride your bike on the same route you would use to drive your car to work. You can usually find quieter side streets to use. You’ll get to know your neighborhood better, you see more things on a smaller, more human scale than when you’re speeding by in your car. You might discover a great new park, shop or restaurant you’d never noticed before – I Have.”
    Epic Gears: “My bike is a vintage 1980s Univega road bike that I converted into a singlespeed. I only live about five miles from work, so I bike when I can to get exercise and save money on gas. I lost 20 lbs, plus it’s fun!”
    Rollin’ With the Homies: As any good Beethoven fan would, Kinkel keeps a bust of the classical composer handy that (coincidently) fits perfectly into his cargo basket.

Angela Ambrosia – Allied Health Faculty Chair

For fun: “I ride almost every day. It’s a chance to get out and meet the neighbors.”
And fitness: “I usually ride alone since my available time is varied. I have the UP wristband by Jawbone that tracks my movement to an iPhone app. Biking counts as exercise and steps. I try to keep around 5,000-10,000 steps a day.
And to impress the neighbors: “They really like my bright pink bike.”

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this bike!

Fan Assembly said...

A great way to exercise and help save our environment. I'm still in the process of assembling my bike.

child alert said...

What a post i really miss my cycle :-)

Dieter said...

How what kind of turnout did you have for this event? Was it well received? Biggest beef I've always heard is that people don't have access to showers.

Workout Routine said...

Great program. I used to be able to work before my office relocated. Now I'm stuck in traffic jams daily.

Wristband said...

I lost my bicycle :'(

family fitness said...

this is a great concept bike to work, keeps you fit, saves money save environment too. go green and remain fit . cool.

mike lewis said...

I agree with this program, especially when we must realize that our world is suffering now. I do hope your post will encourage and motivate people to start using bike to work. Good work, friend

Daytona Beach Insurance said...

Love riding my bike. Nice to see you all rally together.

Takara Kabuto Road bike review said...

This is really amazing. Good article, it was really a nice read and its a very good bike. Definitely will keep you healthy and fit.

johan bender said...

Thats cool! Biking is becoming more part of our society and the urban areas are now also adapting with bike lines.
I also heard about this cool start up that provides bikes to students through sponsorship by companies for free www.freebikeproject.com

cargo bags said...

Riding a bike is one of the best types of exercise, fresh air, freedom good for the sole, this program is really great.

Varietybuzz said...

Biking an excellent form of exercise! keeps you in shape.

Allison said...

Make sure to check to weather on your smartphone before you take off on your bike! To find the best weather apps, go to http://best-weather-app.com

kuldeep singh said...

I love to ride bike. it is very good for my health.

imageden said...

This is what we call real adventure, mount on this bike and vroom over the hilly terrain is my way of adventure.

Go Local said...

biking is a fantastic way to help the environment, just like going local is a great way to help the neighborhoods! http://www.yougolocal.com

news alert said...

I just want to tell you that I am new to blogs and truly loved this web page. Almost certainly I’m planning to bookmark your site. You certainly come with wonderful well written articles. Many thanks for revealing your web site.
News Alert

FLo said...

Haha very nice :) especially Bri's story... http://www.swmb.de

Johny said...

good and great!

Matt said...

I am a huge mountain biking nut! I am very happy to see you guys doing this. I have biked to work a lot and it is so de-stressing!

Amiah said...

I am greatly happy to know that these people realizes how much it would cause them to use their car. Biking is more fun wherein gives health benefits to you and to your pocket as well for saving an extra.

mike said...

My new job allows me to ride my bike to work,instead of driving

sem said...

Funny bikes!

Dave said...

This is a great concept bike to work, improves health, lose excess weight, because you can do it every day.

albert said...

It's an easier way of passing through the path by cycling moreover it's useful for saving the environment because we are burning huge petrol through cars and other engine based vehicles where cycle is much better option of non producing any pollutant. Thanks for various kinds of experiences of the people.
Fun restaurants in Houston

Funny Pics said...

Mike , i work at raiffaisen bank and they to bought bikes to ride to work and they actually pay you more if you dont take a company car and just use the bike , anyway bike is healthy , car is expensive and not so healthy.

Cheers

Shagor said...

This site all product is nice and amazing. I love your post! It's also nice to see someone who does a lot of research and has a great knack for ting, which is pretty rare from bloggers these days.
Thanks!
best

Dragan said...

Nice article. I ride my bike every day. It is cheap and healthy. It is may way to improve the environment.

Erik said...

Great program. I used to be able to work before my office moved to another place. Now I'm stuck in traffic jams daily.

Devin said...

Excellent post, I love anything that has to do with health and fitness. Biking is a great way to exercise, however you may do it.

Tom said...

I really miss cycling. This is the best exercise to reduce fat and strengthen the leg muscles and heart.

Fitness equipments India said...

Cycle riding is the great way to improve the health and eco-friendly also!

herbert said...

riding a bicycle is very good to keep the blood flowing.. stay young and stay healthy!

Jeddy wise said...

I agree with you in every area that you have tackled. Bike riding is fun, time and money saving and you can watch your fitness easily. I have found out you can make a career out of it by becoming bike rider and join any local bike riding competition. I think parents should as well introduce this habit to their kids at an early age.

auto transport florida to Massachusetts said...

Wow its a great blog.Bicycling is very good for health.I love cycle.

atlanta postcards campaign said...

Nice articles and great photos. Thanks for sharing!

Beverly said...

Cycling will help you to feel stronger, leaner and more positive about your body. Thanks for the share.

KMM CAB CO said...

Was it well received? Biggest beef I've always heard is that people don't have access to showers

Kelly said...

Thanks for writing the great article. Cycling is a great way to develop muscle and burn fat.

fashion in the philippines said...

Great article! Cycling is really one of the best healthy ways one can make their daily commuting with!

Sykes said...

Thanks for writing such a great post!
It will help you to feel stronger.

Patrick said...

You definitely get a sense of freedom when your on a bike. Nothing beats the feeling of accelerating down a sizable hill with the wind in your hair.

Amy Sykes said...