Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Susan Yonker Awarded for Excellence

Congratulations to Susan Yonker of Willis Junior High School in Chandler, Arizona for winning the 99.9 FM KEZ Excellence in Education Award for December 2012.

Yonker, was nominated by students Alexandra Chavez and Rachael Mehrara.

In Mehrara's nomination letter, she said, "Most teachers are good teachers but Mrs. Yonker sticks in your mind and she makes everyone feel like they have a voice." She continued to explain that Yonker knows how to engage her students and keep them interested in learning while she continually enables students to set and achieve goals.

Mehrara, who has been a student of Yonker for the past two years, wrote,"I can honestly say Mrs. Yonker has changed my life and the goals I have for myself. I want her to know that I am beyond thankful for that."

Each month, a Valley K-12 teacher will be selected from all the entries to be recognized for their outstanding contribution to education. KEZ’s Marty Manning will visit the teacher’s school to surprise them with their “Excellence in Education” Award. The surprise visit will be broadcast during the Beth and Friends Show. All winning teachers are rewarded with $99, an Excellence in Education Award, and a Rio Salado College gift bag.

Excellence in Education is a partnership between Rio Salado College and KEZ 99.9 FM, which recognizes Valley teachers. Students and parents of students are encouraged to nominate K-12 teachers who are excellent at their profession and have gone above and beyond the call of duty to make a difference in their community.