Submitted by RSC Financial Aid Director Nanci Regehr
Applying for financial aid can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. All it takes is a little planning and organization to make it a less stressful process. Listed below are some useful tips to make applying for financial aid a more pleasant experience.
- Apply early - The financial aid application is available every year on January 1. Students should complete the application as early as possible.
- Keep track of deadlines - Missing a financial aid deadline can jeopardize the student's financial aid eligibility. Students should be sure to submit all items by the appropriate deadlines.
- Monitor the student center and check email regularly - All financial aid communications are sent via the student center at my.maricopa.edu or to the student's official email address. It is the student's responsibility to monitor these sites for information.
- Complete all forms accurately, completely, and legibly - Inaccurate, unreadable, or missing information can cause delays in processing the financial aid application.
- Keep copies of each form - Students should keep a copy of each form submitted. Students may need to reference a particular form if the college asks for additional information.
- Follow through - After submitting all forms, students should continue to monitor the student center and email for any additional items that the college may need. As deadlines near, students should follow up to confirm that all information has been received.
- Reapply for financial aid every year - Each year students will need to reapply for financial aid. Students who do not qualify for certain types of aid one year, may qualify the next year. Students should always reapply.
Note: Rio Salado College recently began processing student FAFSA's for the 2013-2014 school year and encourages students to apply for financial aid as early as possible.