Saturday, August 10, 2013

Transferrable Online Classes Help ASU Student Graduate On Time

Krystina Toler
Arizona State University student Krystina Toler paid less than half price for her pre-calculus requirement and will graduate a semester sooner thanks to the transferable online classes at Tempe-based Rio Salado College.

"I had a full load this past year at ASU, but I still had this one class required to graduate," Toler said. "Luckily, I was able to take the class at Rio Salado and complete my degree program on time."

In order to graduate this summer, Toler took advantage of Rio Salado's Monday starts and avoided waiting for fall semester.

"The flexibility of the classes starting every Monday attracted me to the program," Toler said. "I can be a huge procrastinator, and signing up for this summer class was no different. I was able to get in easily at Rio Salado and not have to wait until fall to finish my degree."

Toler saved more than time when she decided to transfer classes from a Maricopa County Community College District college.

"I will transfer five credits from Rio Salado," Toler said. "I paid for the classes with my personal savings, and it was less than half the price of summer classes at ASU."

Although Toler said she still prefers in-person classes, she appreciates the student services available at Rio Salado and the convenience of the online format.

"Taking online classes is more difficult than you would think. The tutors at the library were great. I do not think I would have gotten through this math class without six days a week of tutoring," Toler said. " I am an old fashioned student at heart. I prefer face to face learning, but the online convenience was there this summer when I really needed it."

Toler said she believes Rio Salado is a good option for ASU motivated students who hope to graduate early or those who have fallen behind due to scheduling conflicts.

"My advice would be to take easy prerequisites to see how you handle the online format," Toler said. "Financially it's the best option and the flexibility for scheduling is amazing. Just keep your learning style in mind. The online setting is entirely different from what we are used to at ASU, but if you are prepared for it, you can adjust and get through it."

Transferring credits is a great way for university students to catch up or get ahead. It's also an affordable foundation for academic success. As one of the ten Maricopa Community Colleges, Rio Salado partners with universities in Arizona and across the country to provide lower-cost pathways to a bachelor's degree.

• The Maricopa - ASU Pathways Program (MAPP) provides community college students with an academic pathway toward ASU's most popular bachelor's degree programs. When participants select a MAPP they guarantee admission and ensure that all of their credits will transfer and apply to the corresponding ASU degree program. 
  • Connect2NAU offers joint admission and allows for the transfer of up to 90 community college credits toward a bachelor's degree at NAU. 
  • UA Bridge provides students with transfer options for any of the University of Arizona's 115 bachelor's degree programs. 
  • Ottawa University Transfer Advantage allows students to transfer up to 80 community college credits and offers reduced tuition to Rio Salado College associate degree holders.
This story can also be found in the August 10 edition of The Tempe Republic.