- Come prepared. Before you call or come in to see an advisor, review your program at www.riosalado.edu/programs. Find out which classes you'll need and look for options you'd like to discuss. If you've had prior coursework evaluated by Advisement, take a moment to review the classes you still need to complete your degree.
- Call early. Peak-time phone calls are busiest in the middle of the day. Try to call before 10 a.m. if possible. If needed, you can also leave a message requesting a callback.
- Come early. The same rule applies if you prefer to meet with an advisor in-person. Come earlier and avoid midday when wait times may be longer. You might also stop by on your way home from work.
- Call or come midweek. Try to avoid calling or coming in on Mondays, which are usually very busy.
- Schedule an appointment. Although the advisement office at the RSC Tempe location is walk-in only, academic advising is now available by appointment at several Rio locations around the Valley. Visit www.riosalado.edu/locations to find the address and hours of a location near your home or work.
- Check your class start dates. Most RSC classes have sections starting every Monday, but there are exceptions. Some science classes. for example, only start on specific dates, so register for these as far in advance as possible to get your preferred section.
For a step-by-step guide to getting started at Rio Salado College visit www.startatrio.com
This article was submitted by Michael Murphy Assistant Director of Advisement Locations