Friday, March 21, 2014

RSC's John Jensen Recognized For Excellence

Rio Salado College would like to congratulate John Jensen, faculty chair of mathematics for being recognized with a 2014 John and Suanne Roueche Excellence award.

The award celebrates outstanding contributions and leadership by community college faculty and staff. Jensen was presented the award by the League for Innovation in the Community College at the organization's Innovations Conference held March 2-5 in Anaheim, California.

“John Jensen is a constant advocate for his students and community leader in math education,” said Rio Salado College President Chris Bustamante. “As Rio Salado’s faculty chair for mathematics, he is forward thinking and innovative in the technologies and instructional theory included in his online math courses. His community advocacy, trainings and guest lectures about the importance of mathematics and instruction are unsurpassed.”

Jensen said he felt particularly honored because the award requires the nomination of his peers.

“The John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Award from the League for Innovation holds special significance for me because it is a recognition that comes from my college and my colleagues,” Jensen said. “In an institution like Rio Salado, where innovation and ingenuity are hallmarks, there are scores of employees who work every day to make education more accessible and more affordable to students.”

Jensen, who served as an adjunct faculty member in Rio Salado’s inaugural year, is proud of the history he shares with the college.

“My first acquaintance with Rio Salado College was in 1978, when I was hired as an adjunct faculty member. I taught mathematics at some of the college’s Phoenix locations for about 5 years. I returned to Rio in 2002 as a residential faculty member. By that time, I had already had over 30 years’ experience in public education.”

Jensen said he believes his success as an educator can be credited to the culture of innovation and collaboration with co-workers at Rio Salado College.

“As a faculty member at Rio Salado, I was struck by two things early in my employment,” Jensen said. “The first was that the entire institution operated with a collaborative spirit. You could depend on other departments within the college to help with a project or a task. The second – and more important – was that every project, initiative and program was evaluated by how well it served the interests of students.”

Jensen, who is reluctant to boast his own accomplishments, instead shares the recognition with the entire Rio Salado organization.

“When I accept this honor, I do so in the name of all of us who strive to make Rio Salado a special place for learners.”

This story can also be found in the March 21 edition of the Tempe Republic.