Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rio Teacher Job Fair this Friday

Tomorrow is the big day!

Rio Salado College is hosting the 12th Annual Teacher Education Career Day—a free community job fair that connects public, charter and private schools with potential teacher candidates. The event takes place Friday, Apr. 25, 12-4 p.m. at the Conference Center at Rio, 2323 W. 14th St., Tempe, AZ 85281.

More than 60 Arizona schools and districts will be on hand to collect resumes, interview candidates and talk about open positions in 2014-2015.

"The Teacher Education Career Day is a great opportunity for schools and districts to connect with qualified candidates from Rio Salado College's Teacher Preparation Program,” said Paulina Ngo, Rio Field Experience Coordinator. It is also a great networking and learning opportunity for individuals who are thinking of entering the teaching profession"

Attendees will have a chance to learn about career opportunities as a Certified Teacher, Substitute Teacher, Teacher Intern Candidate and Paraprofessional/Teacher’s Aide.  

Isaac School District Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Dr. Bob Fleischmann attended the event for the first time last year. He said the prospects are good for teachers right now. “We have numerous openings that we’d like to fill, especially in the areas of math and science. If you’re interested in teaching and you have a strong skill set and are highly qualified, you’re more than likely to be interviewed in the school district.”

When asked how attendees should prepare, Fleischmann said, “I think your first five minutes are essential in making a good impression. You need to bring your resume and several copies with a cover letter. You need to make sure your grammar and punctuation are right on and dress professionally.”

While the event is open to the public, Rio students who are teacher certified by 2015 and teachers in residence will have an exclusive opportunity to participate in pre-screening interviews during the event.

One of those students is Cari Martinez. “I hope to practice my interviewing skills, make connections with new districts, and ultimately find a teaching job.”

Martinez will complete her Early Childhood Education program in May. “My short term goals are to finish up my preschool internship, and gain as much knowledge over the next month. In the long term I would hope to have a teaching job within a great district, working with a great team and making a difference in our early learners."

Koren Bean will also attend. “I am hoping to find a job. If not, I hope to have the opportunity to interview and learn which schools are expecting to hire Special Education teachers for the next school year.” Bean completed her Rio Special Education Cross Categorical Elementary Education program on April 5 and she’s ready to go to work.

Bean said she chose a career in teaching “because I have seen what a huge difference a good teacher can make for a child. Likewise, I have seen how a bad teacher can change the course of a student forever as well. I want to make a positive difference and I think that being a teacher is an excellent way to do that.”

For the latest details, and to register for this event, visit riosalado.edu/studentevents or call 480-517-8140.

This story can also be found in the April 12 edition of the Tempe Republic.
By Annette Flores, manager of Rio Salado College media relations.