Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Success Skills from a Success Instructor

abstract image of a key to success filled with "success" words like: experience, responsibility, vision, competence.
Students often want to know what skills are required in order to help them complete their college degree. I constantly relay to my students that they need to possess the abilities to think critically, question and analyze information, as well as maintain patience, perseverance, and a commitment to their academic goals. However, I believe that some success skills are not as frequently discussed or even known about that are critical to students’ success in college and life.

The tools of emotional intelligence and interdependence are among the hidden or forgotten competencies of success. Emotional intelligence simply refers to the ability to effectively manage one’s emotions, as well as others’ emotions (Downing, 2010).

The other significant success skill of interdependence is described as the ability to collaborate with others successfully by seeking, receiving, and applying feedback from others (Downing, 2010).

So you may be thinking how do I begin to acquire these skills and enhance the abilities I already have? Rio Salado offers a course to facilitate the development of such competencies called CPD150 Strategies for College Success. Enroll Today.

Contributed by Rio Salado Counselor Elena Matus McDonald on behalf of Rio Salado's Counseling Services, helping students with their personal, educational and career goals.

Reference: Downing, S. (2010). On course strategies for college success. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.