Monday, March 19, 2018

Meet Rio's 2018 John & Suanne Roueche Excellence Award Honorees

Three Rio Salado College employees are recipients of the 2018 John & Suanne Roueche Excellence Awards honoring exceptional teaching and leadership in community college education.

The awards are given each year by the League for Innovation in the Community College

Rio Salado's honorees are: Hazel Davis, Faculty Chair for Library Services; Todd Simmons, Vice President of Administrative Services; and Dr. Wanda Tucker, Faculty Chair for Psychology, Philosophy, and Religious Studies.

They were nominated for the award by Rio Salado College President Chris Bustamante, who singled out their commitment to excellence in putting students first.
The awards will be given out by the at the League’s annual conference in Maryland March 18-21, 2018.

Hazel Davis
"I am greatly honored to receive this award for my work as Library Faculty Chair at Rio Salado College, where innovation thrives and enables ever-evolving and creative services for our non-traditional student body. Today, it is more important than ever for students to develop the information literacy skills that will underpin their college endeavors and enable them to become thoughtful and informed citizens. I feel so fortunate to work with my wonderful team to educate and empower our students."

Todd Simmons
"When most people think about excellence in high education, they think about the teaching and learning process. But, providing funding for excellence in teaching and learning requires creative solutions to financial issues and concerns. I hope that I have been able to contribute, in that capacity, to Rio Salado College and the success that it and its students have experienced. I am passionate about helping others achieve their life dreams and making their lives and the lives of those around them better."

Dr. Wanda Tucker
"It is an honor to receive the John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Award. I am fortunate to serve at a college where innovative ideas are welcomed to support the academic goals of students. Administrators, faculty colleagues, and staff members create an environment where excellence is promoted to champion initiatives for students and employees. In turn, it is my desire to give back and contribute to academic forums where intellectual inquiry is valued and appreciated."

For more information visit https://www.league.org/excellence