Tuesday, May 7, 2019

2012 #RioGrad Jennifer Papworth Pays it Forward

snapshot of Papworth at commencement lectern

Among the guest speakers at our 2019 commencement ceremony on May 2 was Rio Salado alumni Jennifer Papworth, who graduated in 2012. Listen to her speech now.

After graduating from Rio Salado with an Associate Degree in Public Administration, Papworth transferred to Arizona State University where she earned a Bachelor of Arts in Public Service and Public Policy.

As a Rio Salado student, Papworth served as president of the college's Phi Theta Kappa Omicron Beta Chapter and earned several scholarships from the Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation.

Photo of Papworth

“I chose Rio because I still had one child at home and wouldn’t have to pay for childcare,” Papworth said. “Online classes fit into my schedule and meant that I didn’t have to spend time away from my husband and kids.
As a community leader, Papworth served on the Avondale Elementary School District Governing Board for five years, worked as an accredited La Leche League Leader and advised on local political campaigns.

Today, she is a Federal Relations Manager in the Office of Government and Community Engagement at Arizona State University.

Papworth said that the key to being a successful online student is the same as being a traditional student. “Plan your time wisely, keep your mind open and enjoy the learning experience.”