Friday, February 7, 2020

Meet Rio Salado College's 2019 League for Innovation Excellence Award Honoree

Congratulations are in order for Mr. Richard Cuprak, Jr., Rio Salado College's 2019 League for Innovation Excellence Award Honoree. 

Formerly known as the John & Suanne Roueche Award, the 2019 League for Innovation Excellence Award honors exceptional teaching and leadership in community college education.

Mr. Cuprak is being honored in recognition of his countless contributions to Rio Salado College and in appreciation for the high level of excellence he gives to his work, passion for teaching, deep care for student success, and his tireless efforts to expand learning opportunities for all students.

Mr. Cuprak and all other honorees will be formally recognized at the League's Innovation Conference March 1-4, 2020 in Seattle, WA.

Richard Cuprak, Jr. 
Graphic is a photo of Richard Cuprak Jr.

“I was indeed honored when notified of my nomination for the John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Award. Rio Salado provides me the opportunity to effect significant change in the educational process for both the incarcerated and on-line students in Technology and Engineering Studies. I believe in challenging and constructively disrupting the way programs and classes are structured to improve student outcomes, and I often attempt inventive curricular design and implementations. By assessing the impact of these changes on student engagement and attainment, I am able to encourage what I believe is a universal intrinsic desire to succeed. Nothing is more uplifting than to hear from students that found a practical application for a particular concept they learned. Finally, I am committed to the concept that learning is not always commensurate with the grade students receive. Therefore, when students recognize the value of the knowledge gained from their interactions as distinct from their grade in the course, true education has occurred. I am proud to receive this award and acknowledge all those who facilitated this accomplishment.”