Monday, April 27, 2020

How Are You Dealing with Social Distancing? PTK Officers Share Their Stories

Two of Rio Salado’s Phi Theta Kappa student officers share their personal stories of dealing with social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic and offer some advice to fellow students.

Ashanti Ruiz

"During this time of difficulty, I have found comfort in my friends and family. Even though I am unable to see my friends, I make sure that I stay connected with them. Regardless if it is sending a meme, picking up the phone, or face-timing them. 

I also make sure that I am not in bed all day and find things to do. I recently took the time to do exercises at home and it got me feeling like myself again. I was recently feeling like I was unable to distinguish what day it was because I was literally doing nothing.

However, now that I am coming up with things to do at the house, I feel productive again. I have been cooking with my dad, catching up on homework, and started to paint again.

I also took the time to re-frame my thinking so, instead of telling myself ‘I'm stuck at my house all day,’ I replaced it with ‘I now have the time to do the things I was too busy to do.’

Shifting my mindset has made such a huge difference because I was feeling stuck for so long. Especially because I work and go to school from home. Make small changes, take lots of breaks and give your mind and body a breather!" 

I have also developed some tips to be successful online:

1. Review your homework schedule ahead of time. This may seem like a no brainer, but this has helped me maintain my grades. Write down due dates on your phone or planner. You know yourself the best and know your strengths and weaknesses as a student. Looking at your homework schedule beforehand allows you to have enough time to complete homework.

2. Find a good space to study. I am guilty of trying to do homework in bed and then passing out because my bed was so comfortable. Try to study in the kitchen or living room. Somewhere spacious with little distractions.

3. Set a homework schedule. Even though, you do not attend classes in person, set an hour or two aside to do homework every day. This allows you to get homework done and not get overwhelmed.

4. Know when to take a break. I have been guilty of trying to do large amounts of homework without being reasonable. In the end, it made me overwhelmed and I was less likely to complete my tasks. So, if you feel like you can no longer continue, stop and go do something else!

Ann Jamieson 

"Hi there! My name is Ann Jamieson and I am both an officer in Rio Salado's Phi Theta Kappa chapter and a dual enrollment student. 

I know there are many people who are scared and unaware of what the future holds for them. It is okay to be scared. It is okay to not be okay. Hold onto that idea first and foremost.

Since Arizona schools have been shut down, I have been working on getting my assignments turned in online as soon as possible. I am holding onto the idea of transferring to ASU next semester and am allowing myself to get excited for that new experience.

I am a hands-on kind of person, so I am giving my parents some time to relax by making dinner for the family often. I am also planning on doing arts and crafts to decorate my dorm room next year.

I am prioritizing things that make me happy. I talk to those I care about and take time for myself when I get overwhelmed or stressed. Just because we at home does not mean we cannot hold onto the idea of hope. We will get through this together! Finally, remember there is someone who is close to you who cares and wants you to succeed. Always remember that. No one is truly alone, and you are always loved."

Learn more about the Phi Theta Kappa here.