Saturday, April 4, 2020

Meet Rio Salado’s 2020 All-AZ Honorees

Graphic shows the All-Academic team winners and Rio salado faculty and leadership

Each year, participating Arizona colleges nominate two students for the All-AZ Academic Team. This honor includes a tuition waiver to one of the three public universities in Arizona and a stipend from Rio Salado.

Meet Rio Salado’s 2020 All-AZ Honorees Ashanti Ruiz and Tamara Rink.

Ashanti Ruiz recently was chosen as an All-Arizona First Team member, as a result, she will be receiving $1,000 from Rio Salado College. In addition, as part of this scholarship process, Ashanti also was chosen to receive the 2020 Coca-Cola Academic Team Silver Scholarship. Tamara Rinck was chosen as an All-Arizona Second Team member receiving $750 from Rio Salado.

Graphic shows president kate and all-az team winner

Ashanti Ruiz

Program: Behavioral Health-Addictions and Substance Use Disorders

Ashanti plans to transfer to the University of Arizona to earn her bachelor’s degree in Care, Health & Society, and her master’s degree in Clinical Psychology. Her career goal is to work for her own community, Maryvale Community, helping those with substance abuse problems.

“I’m a 21-year-old multicultural community college student, who’s ready to combat stigma of mental health. My community fuels my passion for service. This scholarship means everything to me because it is the steppingstone that I need to help my Maryvale community. I grew up in the Maryvale area for years and was able to identify that there needs to be more bilingual substance abuse counselors. I am constantly inspired by those in my community and wanted to do something about it. Furthering my education has always been a dream of mine but because I am a first-generation student, I was unsure how to get there. The All-Arizona scholarship transformed my dream into a reality. None of this success would have been able to happen without my PTK advisors, my PTK crew (Ann, Michael, Nick), or without the love of my parents. Words cannot express how grateful I am for this opportunity. I have come such a long way and encourage all of my first-generation students to apply.”

graphic shows president kate and all-az team tamara rinck

Tamara Rinck

Program: Public Administration

Tamara plans to transfer to Northern Arizona University and complete her bachelor’s degree and her Masters in Higher Education. Tamara would like to give back support she has received by becoming a PTK Advisor and an instructor at the college level.

“Earning the All-Arizona Scholarship, I did not even think this was possible at my age, and a mother of 3. It is truly like winning the education lottery. First off, I did not think I was even smart enough to become an honor student. Then achieving the GPA to join PTK. Earning the All-Arizona Scholarship, now allows me to finish something I started 37 years ago. To be 1 of 89 students, in a very competitive application process; I am immensely blessed to receive the news that I won. The next part of my journey will take me to Northern Arizona University. I will be utilizing their online program in Public Administration. I also plan to keep going and earn my master’s degree. I am so thankful for the support I have received from family, faculty, advisors and counselors at Rio Salado College. I am ready to complete a journey I started many years ago. I am a strong, confident, and determined mother.”

graphic shows president kate with ashanti ruiz and Tamara Rinck

Congratulations Ashanti and Tamara!